Hi AnyRecover team, I'm facing with a very tricky problem. My USB became RAW this morning, when I tried to fix it with chkdsk command, it told me "The type of the files system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives". How can I bypass this? Any help would be much appreciated!
Sometimes hard drives or other storage mediums become inaccessible and show RAW file system. The solution requires you to format the drive or fix errors via chkdsk command of Windows. The problem is, chkdsk command does not work for RAW drives. So, you need another way to fix the issue.
Windows can read and access certain file systems such as FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc. But when there is no file system (its RAW), Windows simply cannot read it. So, when you use the chkdsk command to check the drive for errors, it simply cannot read it and gives the above-mentioned error. This problem may occur on internal hard drive, external hard drive, and even on SSD. A drive can become RAW due to bad sectors, corrupted file system, or some other reason.
There are two methods of fixing this issue. They are described below:
This method consists of two steps. In the first step, you will recover inaccessible data and then in the second step, you will format the drive so that it becomes accessible again.
When it comes to recovering data from RAW drives, there is no better tool to get the job done than iMyFone AnyRecover. Since AnyRecover has the highest recovery rate no matter whether it is recovering data from a corrupted memory card, RAW drive, or damaged external hard drive, etc.
Recover data successfully, no matter how it got deleted e.g. file system corruption, virus/malware attack, hardware issue, etc.
Recover almost files. Supported file types include photos, music, audio, documents, emails, archives, and more.
Faster file scanning and built-in file preview feature.
You can use trial version for free to test the software's capability before purchasing the full version.
Instructions to Recover Data from RAW Drive
1. You'll need the All-Round Recovery mode after launching it.
2. Find and select the partition that has RAW file system, then go to the Next step.
3. Choose the file types for scanning on the next screen and start data scanning process.
4. On the next screen, a list of recoverable files will be there. What you need do is to recover all files from your RAW partition.
Now that you have successfully recovered your inaccessible files via AnyRecover, the next step will be formatting your RAW drive to make it readable/accessible again. The process to do this is straightforward.
1. On your computer, open This PC.
2. Navigate to the RAW drive, right-click on it and select the Format option.
3. Next choose one of the file systems (NTFS is common for most users), and then check the "Quick Format" option.
4. Once everything is configured, start the formatting process, it will take several minutes.
This method is useful if you want to make your RAW drive readable again without formatting. You will need to use CMD for this. It will convert the RAW file system of the drive to NTFS which Windows can read and access.
1. Launch Command Prompt on your Windows PC via Start Menu or Run program. Make sure to run it as administrator.
2. Once CMD window is opened, type Diskpart and press Enter.
3. Next, type G: /FS :NTFS (G here is the drive letter of your RAW drive) and press Enter to execute. Once you hit enter, Windows will start the conversion process and your RAW drive will be converted to NTFS.
RAW drives can be a hassle to fix but fortunately there are some easy ways to make them readable again. To make sure your data is protected, you must recover your inaccessible data from the RAW drive via iMyFone AnyRecover before attempting to format it or using any other method to make the drive accessible again.
By Simon Marcus , to Hard Drive Recovery
Posted on Dec 17, 2018 ( Updated: Mar 08, 2019 )