“Last week I decided to update my PC which was running on Windows Vista OS to Windows 8. After the update, I got to find out that my default email client on Windows vista was missing. I later got to understand that Microsoft had discontinued Windows live mail.”
If you are using new versions of Windows OS (Windows 8 or 10), you must have noticed a common feature in the previous version missing (Windows live mail feature). In order to be able to access Windows live emails, you need to export these emails to Outlook.
Reasons Why you Should Export Windows Live Mail to Outlook
1). New versions of Windows have no support for the Windows live mail.
2). Outlook provides a more personal and professional approach.
3). Level of security on Outlook is advanced making Outlook one of the most secure email clients.
4). Outlook has the ability to handle multiple accounts from a single interface.
Due to the discontinued support for Windows live mail on new versions of Windows, it has become imperative to know how to migrate Windows live mail to Outlook if you want to read Window live mails. This is because Outlook is more preferred as it provides an advanced level of security. However, since Windows live mail stores data in the .eml format, it has become difficult to directly migrate data from Windows live mail to Outlook as this could lead to loss of data if not properly done. An alternative will be to use a software capable of exporting windows live mail to Outlook without loss of data. This article explains both methods.
ScanOutlook is a professional Outlook repair tool that can be used to repair corrupted or damaged files in Outlook. It can recover deleted emails, attachments, contact calendars and more.
Features of iMyFone ScanOutlook:
Repair and recover your lost Outlook OST/PST files in any situation from system issue to human error.
Preview all deleted items including calendars, contacts, emails and attachments, etc. before recovery.
Selectively export items and save them in any required format like PST, EML, MSG, HTML, and so on.
Advanced deep repair mode for repairing corrupted files.
Compatible with the latest Outlook versions from Outlook 2019, 2016, 2010 to Outlook 2003.
Step 1. After launching ScanOutlook on your PC, choose the files you want to repair.
Step 2. Once you selected the files, click on “Repair” to initiate the progress.
Step 3. When the repair is done, select the files and click on the button “Export Selected”. You can preview these files before recovery.
This method is quite stressful. Before embarking on this method, you need to first create a backup of your data because a wrong step in this method could cause loss of data. This is how it is done:
1. Log on to Windows live mail client as well as Microsoft Outlook client on the same computer.
2. On the tool bar of Windows live mail, hit on the “File” tab > click “Export”.
3. From the open list, select “Email Messages” > select “Microsoft Exchange” > click “Next”.
4. Click “OK” on the pop-up window with the message “All Email will be Exported to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange”.
5. Hit the “Finish” button once export is complete.
1). It is a quite hectic approach.
2). It requires both mail client to be installed on the same computer.
3). It is not secure and could result to loss of data.
On installation, Windows live mail automatically detects the location of source data files. However, in cases where this does not happen, it could be as a result of conflicting profiles or registry error. Do not worry, this can be fixed:
For Windows 7:
1. On your keyboard press “Windows button + E” to access the Windows file explorer > click on “Organize” tab > click on “Folder and Search Options” on the menu.
2. Switch from “organize” tab to the “View” tab on the tool bar.
3. Click on “advanced settings” in the menu and expand “Hidden files and folder” mode.
4. Select “Show hidden files and folder” option on the drop-down list.
5. In the checkbox, uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” option and click “OK”.
For Windows 10:
1. On your keyboard press “Windows button + E” to access the Windows file explorer.
2. On the toolbar, click the “View” tab and select “Options” and click on “Change folder and search option”.
3. Click on “Advanced settings” in the menu and select “Show hidden folders and drive” > click “OK”.
Outlook is the most used email client because it is considered to be the most professional and secure email client hence it is used by a large number of people. In this article, we have taught you how to export Windows live mail to outlook using both the manual and the professional method which requires you to use the software iMyFone ScanOutlook.
By Alva Doris , to Outlook Repair
Updated on Dec 18, 2019