Got problems with your inbox's personal folders (PST files)? If so, then worry no further. The Outlook Inbox Repair tool (scanpst.exe) can help you retrieve those files, and with ease.
It's a tool that keeps your most-valued folders in-check. It preserves and recover your most important inbox folders, ensuring they aren't lost for good!
The Outlook Inbox Repair tool's primary function is to recover damage folders, while creating back-ups for them. If you've got important messages that you cannot open your pst file, or a set of data files you can't access. This tool is available for these situations.
Below, we'll show you how to find and use it properly!
This tool is provided by Microsoft (installed along with Microsoft Outlook). So you don't need to seek any 3rd parties to download and install it.
If it is hidden
However, in some situations, it might exist on your computer as a "hidden file." In this case, you'll need to go through the following steps to access and use the tool.
1. (Close Outlook) - You might struggle to open the file if Microsoft Outlook is open, so close the program first.
2. (Go to Control Panel) - Head there, then swap the "view tab."
3. (At Hidden files and filers) - Check the "show hidden files and folders" option.
Step 1. Search your PC (at the startup menu) for a SCANPST file. This should be the file you use to launch the repair tool.
However, if you cannot it by search, then you can try manually. You can head to "program files" and look through "Microsoft Office" folders to find the designated folder.
Step 2. Then open this tool, locate the PST or OST file you'd like to repair.
Step 3. Finally, click "Start" on the tool, and fix the designated file.
1. This tool isn't a guaranteed "100% fix" for all damaged OST and PST files. Its success rate can be described as average at-most. So while it is a go-to for error fixes, you can't expect it to deliver flawless results.
2. The 2nd problem is computer safety. Do not expect this tool to fix files that are compromised from viruses and malicious programs.
3. No Preview Option for data items
Yes, there is one. We'll mention it below, its features, plus a detailed guide on how to use it!
iMyFone ScanOutlook is one of the best alternatives for Inbox Repair tool (scanpst.exe). This tool is special designed to repair Microsoft Outlook issues. It has a wider scope than the Inbox Repair tool. Also, it gives you more control over the recovered folder.
Repair corrupted Outlook PST/OST files in three steps.
Recover your permanently deleted emails from your Outlook data files.
Preview all the data in the repaired pst or ost file, including attachments, emails, contacts, etc.
Allow you to restore & save mailbox data in a multiple formats: PST, EML, MSG, PDF, RTF, HTML.
The steps to use it are straightforward:
1. Open this program on your computer.
2. Choose the pst or ost file you want to repair. (Click "Browse" and find the PST file's location - or click "Search" if you don't know the location. )
3. Click on "Repair" button to start the process.
4. After repair, you'll be able to view your emails and other data. Choose what you want, then export to a format you desired.
By Simon Marcus , to Outlook Repair
Posted on Jul 02, 2019 ( Updated: Jul 02, 2019 )